News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shimy1984

Quote from: shimy1984 on May 24, 2016, 04:24:43 AM
Hello all,

Newbie here. I have a question that I haven't seen answered so I thought I'd ask.

Why use a card extender that is only compatible with up to 32gb when you can just install a 128gb SD card directly into the unit?

From what I've read it doesn't seem like the file size of the SD card really matters, its more the R/W speeds.

Am I wrong in my assumption?

Nevermind, after further reading I came across this from Jman (amazing triggers btw, dude):

Important reminder for those that have done the Card extender mod: Once you have done the Card extender mod you must use a card reader with your computer to do any of the functions you normally would do via usb connection from the module. You will no longer have access via the module's USB port. You will only screw up your SDHC card if you attempt to connect the module via USB after doing the mod.

So, it looks like USB only accepts a max of 4GB. So, if I were to just replace the 4GB card with a 128GB card, I'd more than likely run into this issue. Major bummer. Ah well. Card extender mod here I come.

Coda

I'm not sure that you can put >32GB cards in the module anyway. I don't think it's a question of the extender (many of which have a 16GB MAX sticker on them), but the module partitioning scheme it uses and/or the FAT32 filesystem.

Jman

Quote from: Coda on May 24, 2016, 05:43:00 AM
I'm not sure that you can put >32GB cards in the module anyway. I don't think it's a question of the extender (many of which have a 16GB MAX sticker on them), but the module partitioning scheme it uses and/or the FAT32 filesystem.
You can put a 32GB card directly in the module. The problem is that the max. size card that will read/write to with the 2Box module plugged in via USB is 4GB. So once you close that module up with the larger card inside you can no longer use it in the Editor, or add/delete files ..... so it is much better to have access to the card outside the module so you can use the card in the module, and also via a card reader when using with a computer ..... and loose none of the functions. Also, you can pretty much disregard that 16GB sticker on card extenders, 32GB will work in them ..... at least the ones I have used.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

Quote from: shimy1984 on May 24, 2016, 04:53:06 AM
Nevermind, after further reading I came across this from Jman (amazing triggers btw, dude):

Thanks, glad you like ..... and welcome to the forum! Oh, and 32GB is the max. you can use in the extender mod. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

Quote from: Jman on May 24, 2016, 09:52:34 PM
You can put a 32GB card directly in the module...
Yep, I'm aware of all of this. The extender is only an extender. My doubt is the card capacity limit directly plugged into the module. 

shimy1984

So, I'm looking around for the fastest SDHC cards available and came across this guy:

Delkin Devices 32GB UHS-II SDHC Memory Card
http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-32GB-UHS-II-Memory-DDSDUHS232GB/dp/B00PGN5NEO

Features:
Read/Write Speeds: 280/250 MB/s
UHS-II Speed Class 3 (U3)

Has anyone tried it out with the Drumit 5? I'm ordering one to give it a go (worse comes to worst, I'll just use it with other things).

Coda

Well, it's very expensive, but if you can put it to another use if it's no good, then I guess you won't lose out by trying. However, raw speed is not the issue with the D5, but access times. Modern high-speed cards don't need/focus on access times, they just need to be able to stream very quickly, which is a different skill-set.
But whatever happens, please do a full test with HD Tune Pro (both the new card, and your existing card so we can factor out the reader speed) and post the results here. Thanks, and good luck!

mvdput

I did the SD-card mod yesterday and ordered a few different SD-cards to try test their performance.

I ordered the following cards:

• Transcend Premium 200x SDHC UHS-I 32Gb
  • Lexar Premium series 300x SDHC UHS-I 32gb
  • Lexar Professional 633x SDHC UHS-I 32Gb
  • Lexar Professional 1000x SDHC UHS-II 32Gb

I did the same performance test for every card with the HD Tune Pro software to see which card has the best performance. I used the internal SD card reader from my My Macbook Pro and was running HD Tune Pro in  Windows 7 on parallels desktop.

My standard ATP Pro Max card which came with the 2Box module

The Transcend card

Lexar Premium series 300x

Lexar Professional 633x

Lexar Professional 1000x

The Transcend and Lexar Premium seems ok if you look at access time and minimum transfer rate, however to be on the safe side I took the Lexar Professional 1000x and added my kits to them including a few custom kits from VST and tested it in the 2Box. So far no issues.

The Lexar Professional 1000x 32Gb costs about EUR 26,- to 35,- depending on the store.

The other cards I did not test in my 2Box.

Coda

Fantastic post! +1 Karma for you!

Dudemann-A2E

Quote from: mvdput on July 16, 2016, 08:55:01 AM

Lexar Professional 1000x

I just modified my 2Box with the same SD card and it is working fine. Thanks mvdput!

rafaelfreitas

Lexar 16GB Professional 1000x worked very well   :rock:
The boot time is virtually the same and I didn't notice anything different from the original SD Card (4GB ATP PRO Class 10).

Lexar 32GB Professinal 633x didn't worked well :'(   
The boot time was 3-4 seconds longer and every now and then the system crashes (I can't play 1 song with this SD card)

It confirms the mvdput post  :D

One thing that I've noticed is that the heavy kits, with 1.5GB for example, show a very small delay occasional. It's not a big problem, but playing with a playback it's possible to hear a snare or ride a bit late. This happens even with the original SD card. For now, I'm trying to use kits with no more than 800MB to get a better experience.

Coda

Quote from: JRage on April 16, 2016, 04:31:47 PM
Finally got my Transcend Class 6 32GB (TS32GSDHC6) kindly suggested by nocturnodrummer.
So I did HD Tune Pro benchmark tests, as Coda proposed, comparing with original card. I used the built in SD card reader in my HP ProBook.
The results are very promising:
<SNIP>

Update:
Unfortunately, after filling the card with more from 2box site downloaded plus custom samples (about 8,5 GB in total) and with faster playing, like InTheBox posted some time ago, occasionally the sound will halt, only to have all the hits played on top of each other a second later. What's important - this was observed also on stock kits, which prevents suspicions of wrong configurations or too large files of custom sample kits.

<SNIP>
2. The issues with Transcend card itself - I've ordered the green Kingston 32GB Class10 card which Coda advised as compatible. Is this card still OK after using it for some months, Coda?
Sorry JRage. I did not see your update until today, I've been away from the site for a while.
Yes the Green Kingston is still working perfectly well, without any issue. I may look for another while they are probably still available or get one of those 1000x lexars.

JRage

Quote from: Coda on March 13, 2017, 09:50:04 PM
Sorry JRage. I did not see your update until today, I've been away from the site for a while.
Yes the Green Kingston is still working perfectly well, without any issue. I may look for another while they are probably still available or get one of those 1000x lexars.
Thanks for your reply, anyway. ;)
I've been using this green Transcend 32 GB card for almost a year now and can confirm that I haven't had any problems with it - that applies both to using stock kits as well as custom made kits exceeding 1.5 GB.  :rock:

JR
Posted by some mistake.

nocturnodrummer

Hey guys, has anyone tried this card? I ordered the green one but they send me this... I dont know if I should return it.. I will contact the seller about this. Maybe they can replace it free of charge..

nocturnodrummer

Well, the seller claims that it is a better card and i can test it if i want to. I tested it and it's worse than its predecessor. I will post the results later. It was about 1ms of access time and it was not constant. So i guess I have to return it.. Im going for the lexar 1000x now. I will be smarter this time and ask seller to make sure that he sells me the correct card. Sigh...