News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocturnodrummer

Hello guys, I'm in market for a memory card. Does anybody has a trusted card that is still widely available? I took a look at the Lexars but the 133 series is long gone.. Has anyone tested the Lexar Professional 633x series?

Coda

The 32gb Kingston card I posted about in length is still available.

nocturnodrummer

OK guys, I think I have found something reaaaaaal good. I found a comprehensive test of sd cards with the access time inculded ! It's in Polish but I can translate it to you. It's 134 cards tested !

http://www.chip.pl/ranking/pamieci-masowe/karty-pamieci-flash-sd

Here you have a list of all the cards, you can filter the search, but unfortunately, not by access time. But you can narrow your search down to capacity, producer and price.

If you want to filter by price, click on the "Cena z VAT [zÅ,'" header on the list.

To check the individual parameters of a card click on name of the card on the list.

This takes you to an another website. Then you click on a tab "Specyfikacja i wyniki" and there you go.

What you need to look for is section called Czas dostępu (odczyt) [ms]. Let me translate it for you:

Czas dostÄ™pu (odczyt) [ms]            = Access time (read) [ms]
Åšredni         0,77 ms                    = Average  0,77 ms
NajdÅ,uższy 3,07 ms                    = Longest  3,07 ms
Najkrótszy 0,47 ms                    = Shortest 0,47 ms

From what I understand and read in the topic the best are the simplest cards meaning, SDHC and without all those super high speed technologies. The simplest seems to be the fastest.

I found a nice Transend card, it is still available in my country and it's very affordable:

http://www.chip.pl/testy/pamieci-masowe/karty-pamieci-flash-sd/transcend-sdhc-32gb-ts32gsdhc6/specification?switch_t=t

It's parameters are :

Czas dostÄ™pu (odczyt) [ms]   
Åšredni           0,79 ms
NajdÅ,uższy   1,97 ms
Najkrótszy   0,54 ms

I chose that because it seems pretty consistent, the gap between the slower and longest is narrow

Your kingston card is listed here as wel (16gb version):

Czas dostÄ™pu (odczyt) [ms]   
Åšredni           1,85 ms
NajdÅ,uższy   9,61 ms
Najkrótszy   0,40 ms

The problem with this test is they are sometimes tested on different card readers:

Here is the parameter to look for:
Testowane z czytnikiem - Device used for testing   Sandisk SDDRX3-3IN1 (SDHC)

I post a test here of that Transcend card soon as I get one and compare it to the 2 box original one.

Cheers!

Coda

Super. Looking forward to the results of that Transcend, if it's good, I'll get one too. Dzieki!

neocoma

Hello everyone.

I'm new in this forum although i'm not a new user of my lovely 2box drum!
I came here because i am currently working on upgrading my SD card with an extender and a 32GB card.
So I came to this forum in order to find the right card.

After some reading i understood that access time is the most important thing.
So i followed the link posted by nocturnodrummer and found this card interesting, which is not on the list :

Transcend TS32GSDCH10
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B003P3MCXW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I tested the card with a Transcend USB 3reader and HDTune Pro:
Transcend TS-RDF5K
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B009D79VH4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Here are the results :

Original 4GB card :

Transcend TS32GSDCH10
http://

Access time and transfer rates seems both generally better on the 32GB Transcend (Max access times are a little higher on two case in the detail but averages are always better).

So am I good to go?
Of course i'll post here if anything weird happens further.

Thanks!

Coda

Quote from: neocoma on February 17, 2016, 06:51:34 PM
Hello everyone.
Welcome!

So am I good to go?
Of course i'll post here if anything weird happens further.
Yeah that looks great, thanks for taking the time to test and post your results! Thumbs up!

edcito

Stock ATP ProMax 4GB, directly on the SD card reader of my mac.

Transcend SDHC 600x 32 GB 90MB/s, much slower it sucks haha, bad buy...

CBJ

Hi guys!

I've read every post on this topic to date and want to thank everyone for contributing to this thread regarding increasing the memory capacity on the 2Box drum system.

I purchased my 2Box kit in Dec. 2015 & am thrilled with this drum system. It's fantastic!

I've noticed that there have been a few requests regarding the larger & still available Lexar 400x, 633x, & even the 800x but no one has provided any info regarding whether or not these cards will work in the 2Box? Can someone provide an update or are these simply over spec'd for what the 2Box can currently handle?

There was also a fellow that was going to try the wifi on a card but never reported his findings on the forum. I hope I didn't miss his response so if anyone has heard regarding this card please let us know how he made out.

And last but not least I want to send a shout out to Jman & Murgen for the help they have provided to all of us on the forum. I am grateful for all your help and the knowledge you are sharing with all of us. Thank you Gentlemen, thank you!

CBJ

Coda

Quote from: CBJ on February 27, 2016, 03:22:07 AM
Can someone provide an update or are these simply over spec'd for what the 2Box can currently handle?
This isn't the issue. It's all about access time. If the card access time is slow, then it's no good for 2box. The only way to find a card with a slow access time is to find a review on the net with access time for the card (difficult for specific cards, and then you have to take into account the reader hardware they used), buy one of the cards in this thread that has been confirmed (the green Kingston 32gb I posted about above is still current), or if you are feeling flush, just buy a card and try it. The last option the only one which contributes to our list of known working cards, but it means if the card is no good you could be out of pocket.

edcito

Sandisk Ultra 16GB found in any german saturn mediamarkt for â,¬9,99

The transcend I posted earlier is definitely not for the 2box, it has the symptom described by some, i.e. the sounds stopped for a bit and then are played all at once afterwards.
This sandisk hasn't this issue, I've tested it for a couple oh hours and it didn't show any issues. So, yeah, I can say, avoid the premium, super fast expensive cards with thousands of X because the 2box module modded wont't handle them accordingly. The crappier an SD card looks the most better it will perform.

nocturnodrummer

That transcend card i bought worked perfectly for some time. But yesterday in went nuts. I copied new files on it and maybe  windows did  some mojo on it. I will  reformat it and hit you back. I even have the access time tests but forgot about my promise, sorry...

JRage

Your answer today looks like a miracle to me ::)
I'm in decision process right know and can't decide between your Transcend (TRANSCEND SDHC CLASS 6 32GB, TS32GSDHC6), Lexar Professional 32 GB 633X Class 10 and hopefully genuine that famous Lexar Professional 32GB 133X.
So, if your Transcend has been success story, I will wait for your benchmarks  :)
Posted by some mistake.

StudioG4

Nocturno drummer - went out and got that Transcend card since your results looked very interesting. Have used it a few times with no apparent issues so far. It responds exceptionally well.
I guess time will tell. I don't have the nerve to use it on a gig over my Lexar pro 133 yet.
Please let me know your further experiences.

JRage

Got answers from both Lexar card ebay sellers - the 633X comes from UK and is in original packaging, but there is no information about access time benchmarks, the 133X comes from China and is in bulk packaging, though the seller says it is genuine, I am not very sure about it.

Have any of you bought a genuine Lexar Professional 16GB/32GB 133X in bulk packaging through ebay?
There were JMan's post some time ago to beware of counterfeits...

StudioG4, nocturnodrummer, what the module initialization time with Transcend card is about, is it any close to original 2box card? It looks like I will go for Transcend Class 6 card, it will set me back only 11 Euros anyway.
Posted by some mistake.

Coda

If you value your sanity, you won't buy memory cards off evilbay. If you ever went through a complaint procedure with a seller and tried to get your money back from paypal, you'll understand what I mean.