News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baby Samus

I think we'll be okay in this case, as these are a new class of cards from Class 10 SDHC and as such I would expect them to continue to manufacture the 'normal' x133 class 10 cards.  The Sandisk Extreme thing is a bit different as they rebranded - so not so much a new class as they possibly changed the silicon underneath to cut costs (which might explain the lower performance you've mentioned) and did a rebrand if that makes sense.

Murgen

Hi guys, I bought one of Tony's extender cables via ebay and looking now to a Class 10 SDHC. JMan's approved cards seems to become obsolete ... what do I exactly have to look for? Is x133 speed, class 10 sufficient? 
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on May 17, 2012, 12:19:52 PM
Hi guys, I bought one of Tony's extender cables via ebay and looking now to a Class 10 SDHC. JMan's approved cards seems to become obsolete ... what do I exactly have to look for? Is x133 speed, class 10 sufficient?
As these are still available I would suggest picking it up. If you read this thread you can see that it is not something you can choose based on stats alone. IE, you really have to try cards out in the module to determine what works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexar-LSD32GCRBNA133-32GB-133x-SD-SDHC-memory-card-Class10-High-Speed-32-GB-NEW-/130653140147?pt=Digital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item1e6b88b4b3
UPDATE!Since this link .... these prooved to be fake .... and we posted on this. But we lost a months worth of posts when the host crashed ...... So again .... Do NOT buy this. Look for ones in original package. Look for ones that they show the picture of them in the original package and say the card is sealed in original pkg.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Murgen

Thank you Jman, bought that card.  :animal:
--------

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on May 17, 2012, 01:55:33 PM
Thank you Jman, bought that card.  :animal:
You're welcome  8) ..... Personally I worry that with the constant improvements and changes in SDHC cards we will still be able to find New cards that will work well with the 2Box module within a year or 2. That's one of the reasons I've bought quite a few, since I know these work.

Baby Samus

Quote from: Jman on May 18, 2012, 02:38:20 AM
You're welcome  8) ..... Personally I worry that with the constant improvements and changes in SDHC cards we will still be able to find New cards that will work well with the 2Box module within a year or 2. That's one of the reasons I've bought quite a few, since I know these work.

Amen to that.  Can't hurt to stock up.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: Baby Samus on May 18, 2012, 04:02:25 AM
Amen to that.  Can't hurt to stock up.
Unless, of course, they discount the hell out of the Lexar cards when they discontinue them ::)

puttenvr

summary: working with non-2box cards is possible, but can take you into some problems, varying results and can cost you a lot of money. Perhaps it's better to make some choices which sounds you load and which ones not.

Murgen

Quote from: Jman on May 18, 2012, 02:38:20 AM

Or 2-Box improves the Brains hardware interfacing. Any clue if the IO controller controlling the memory is flash as well?
--------

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on May 18, 2012, 06:22:45 AM
Or 2-Box improves the Brains hardware interfacing. Any clue if the IO controller controlling the memory is flash as well?
Not sure on that. I do know that they really go above and beyond at 2Box as far as support though....  Offering us new OS updates and improvements over and over. So I don't expect them to abandon us in the future! 8) I've been sooooo impressed by their continued support of the Drummit Five in the years after it's release..... while many other companies abandon new updates in favor of selling a new module or kit, 2Box has improved their current kit, offered improved sounds, loop libraries, etc..... over, and over! :patbat2box:

Baby Samus

I would imagine accepting higher rates of throughput (UHS Class 1) on the current SD socket would require installing an upgraded SD socket, I doubt this is a change that could be made through flashing a rom chip or an O/S update.  It is possible in theory if the module's SD slot is SDXC compatible, but I doubt it is considering the USB port isn't even v2.0  :-[.

SDXC also uses exFAT rather than FAT32 file system, so that may also be an issue as the 2Box uses FAT32 right?  I think exFAT is required to read above the 32GB limit of FAT32, hence the larger card sizes possible with SDXC.

So in short I doubt this can be done, but if the module is to change in any way, I cannot see any good argument as to why they would not just install a 30gb or 60gb SSD.  Add USB 2.0 or 3.0, all problems solved  :animal:.

Murgen

Quote from: Baby Samus on May 19, 2012, 12:36:51 AM
I would imagine accepting higher rates of throughput (UHS Class 1) on the current SD socket would require installing an upgraded SD socket, I doubt this is a change that could be made through flashing a rom chip or an O/S update.  It is possible in theory if the module's SD slot is SDXC compatible, but I doubt it is considering the USB port isn't even v2.0  :-[.

SDXC also uses exFAT rather than FAT32 file system, so that may also be an issue as the 2Box uses FAT32 right?  I think exFAT is required to read above the 32GB limit of FAT32, hence the larger card sizes possible with SDXC.

So in short I doubt this can be done, but if the module is to change in any way, I cannot see any good argument as to why they would not just install a 30gb or 60gb SSD.  Add USB 2.0 or 3.0, all problems solved  :animal:.

It is a long time since I was involved in the actual components and your reply makes a lot of sense. We may expect a Brain MkII sooner or later. However, our Brain is still up to it's tasks.  :D
--------

Drumaster

SD extension mod complete with a 32GB 133x Lexar pro! Works flawlessly (only tested stock kits so far), no latencies! So convenient to have the card in an external slot and so comfortable to have 32GB. :D

Thanks for your helpful posts guys!

Manfred

Hi,

no, its not flash but hardware. At least my module uses an Atmel AT91SAM9261CJ which has the interface for SD cards included. So in that regard there won't be an update unless the really change hardware. However, i think the transfer rate is not crucial. The original card of my module is "only" class 6.

If the transfer rate is too low i would expect interrupted sounds but i never experienced/heard about that. In terms of latency there are obviously other parameters like any kind of access time or whatever. I don't know what it is and even if it doesn't help. Those parameters are usually not available for cards of consumer grade. There are also industrial grade cards with better datasheets but at a much higher price.

So the only thing we can do is try and hope that the vendor doesn't change anything once we found a "good" card. Unfortunately these consumer cards are changed from time to time without any change of the labelling.

Regards, Manfred

PS. The USB interface is 2.0 compatible but only low speed (1.5MBit/s) and full speed (12MBit/s).  So this won't be updated too.

digitalDrummer

I recently ordered a PNY "Professional" 32GB card and the vendor sent me a "High Speed" version instead. I can't find the High Speed version on the PNY website and have contacted the company for an explanation. Not sure if the HS is faster or slower than the Professional as the description of both is 133x write speed and Read Performance: Up to 20 MB/s.
However, the card loads really quickly (9 seconds compared to 8 with the Lexar and about 14 with a Transcend). To date, I have not had any break-up, even using very densely sampled home-brew DSNDs, but do sense a very, very slight latency lag - or maybe I'm just imagining it.
I will keep on testing, but it would be great if someone else had a go as well - especially since these cost about half as much as the Lexars. At worst, it would be a good back-up card to store DSNDs.