News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Toontrack why not?

Started by beppedrum, December 02, 2011, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beppedrum

I dont understand why Toontrack does not produce files dsnd directly from its VST  >:(
It could not do as it is already doing for the  Red Box of the Pearl E-PRO Live?
You know if there is nothing new in that?
What do you think?

Baby Samus

Toontrack and 2Box have no affiliation, and as such Toontrack probably has no permission to implement this feature in it's software or to use the .dsnd format.

beppedrum

How many 2box users there are in the world?
It seems a shame to 2box and Toontrack!

Manfred

Hi,

my guess is that companies like Toontrack and FXpansion simply don't want to provide "unprotected" sounds. The dsnd-format is a kind of WAV format and has no copy protection. So i think they are afraid that users just copy the sounds from each other but don't buy it.

But if this is really the reason i prefer to stay as it is. I don't want to have any DRM system or restrictions inside the module.

Maybe there is a chance at companies who already provide unprotected sound libraries like NDK or Analoguedrums. They don't have a copy protection anyway.

Regards, Manfred

Jman

Beyond any security concerns of sounds being distributed without being paid for .... I suppose there is the obvious $$ consideration ..... whether it is worth the time/effort/cost of these companies to do the specialized kits specific for 2Box modules.

After building my own dsnds from VST software sounds ...... given a choice of having dsnd kits already prepared like Pearl, Alesis has or having an Open sound source module like 2Box has where I can build my own from many different sources ..... I much prefer the Open sound source 2Box module. I have lots of choices including just how large/deep those sample dsnds are.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Baby Samus

Yes, all valid points I agree, the issue is very complex.  2Box will most likely have to sell a few more kits and become established in the market to achieve this level of support from the community at large - Roland are still very much the market leader in e-drum hardware I would imagine, and as such their modules will be better supported in software as regards triggering.  Being an open system, the 2Box could be said to be taking market share from both hardware (Roland/Yamahe etc) and software makers (on the sample side i.e. toontrack/bfd).  In other words some companies may believe it is in their best interests not to collaborate with 2Box.

I am all for companies like BFD etc release 2Box sample packs, because thats what they do best, samples, and I am sure they would be great.  I think the business angle though, is one of 'how many 2Box kits have been sold to date?  Have enough been sold to make a product potentially profitable on our end?  How profitable?  Is their product taking our market share?' etc etc.

JMan is right though and I feel this way about the 2Box, its more the machine for people who like to tinker and create their own samples - the whole 'homebrew' aspect of it give you quite a broad canvas to what can be achieved.  Toontrack have already made plenty money from 2Box owners on this forum anyway, and that makes the whole thing even less likely lol.

Who knows...

beppedrum

Quote from: Jman on December 02, 2011, 10:36:22 PM
.... After building my own dsnds from VST software sounds ...... given a choice of having dsnd kits already prepared like Pearl, Alesis has or having an Open sound source module like 2Box has where I can build my own from many different sources ..... I much prefer the Open sound source 2Box module. I have lots of choices including just how large/deep those sample dsnds are.
Hi jman
you're right, but you must also consider that there are many people (like me) who does not even have time to play the drums.
And to think to use SD2, BFD, Dsoundtool etc., etc.. remains limited to just people who are very experienced but does not open to all users.
PS Thank you for your cymbals: awesome!

Jman

Quote from: beppedrum on December 03, 2011, 07:18:17 AM
Hi jman
you're right, but you must also consider that there are many people (like me) who does not even have time to play the drums.
And to think to use SD2, BFD, Dsoundtool etc., etc.. remains limited to just people who are very experienced but does not open to all users.
PS Thank you for your cymbals: awesome!
Great to hear the cymbals are working for you Giuseppe!
Yes, you are right it would be beneficial for most to have a choice to pick up new drum kit dsnd packs already made up by one of the leading VSTI companies like Toontrack or Fxpansion. Honestly, I was very skeptical about building new dsnds. It was definitely not something I was experienced with. I actually never used any VSTI programs before building the new dsnds from NDK and Superior Drummer 2.0. Absolutely no experience whatsoever. So it is something that can be done without any real experience and not as difficult as one would think. But, yes, it is time consuming and most will not do it.... and many like yourself don't really have the time. It would be nice for most 2Box owners if one or more of the VSTI companies does decide to do this. For myself, I am just really glad that the module is an open sound source system. That makes it very versatile and appealing IMO.

I will say also that 2Box has been great about offering new kit sounds for free and their sounds are some of the best stock sounds in any stand alone drum module. Definitely many usable kits in there. Two thumbs up from me for 2Box .... incredible support for their module above the norm not only in offering new sounds for free, but continuing to offer updates/improvements to their OS also with no additional charge.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/