News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

very upset with kit

Started by besco, November 04, 2011, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besco

today I am really upset. Let me give everyone my story about my 2box drum kit.

I bought the kit over a year ago at wembley drum centre london. When opening the kit the first thing i notice is that one of the toms had the skin broken. I contact wembley drum centre who put me in touch with the uk rep and a replacement is sent.

I then start to play the kit and realise that the snare stand and snare are practically unusable. THe stand however tight it was just fell down after a few minutes use and the rubber under the rim of the snare just came loose and was flopping all over the drum. i contacted the rep again and they kindly replaced it with another stand and new rim of the snare with the rubber kind of glued on.

THen both of my cymbals were not triggering properly if you hit half the cymbal it sounded fine the other half did not even register that you had hit it. So again both cymbals were replaced. Currently the problem is still similar the cymbal sound is in no way consistent and different parts of the cymbal will trigger random sounds not dependent on how hard you hit them.

the next issue was the bass drum broke and would not trigger any sound at all. This was again replaced and thankfully that works fine now.

Now my snare with the rubber glued to the rim just seems to flop around and due to not being fastened down has just snapped. I am guessing as this was another swap the rubber bands were not included so it just feels awful and is now broken.

I really have played these drums for probably about 20 hours since i have had them a year ago and cannot believe all the issues i have had.

The customer service has so far been brilliant from them but to be honest have put off contacting them as it is getting embarasing. I am not sure if i have just been unlucky but when listing all the issues it seems ridiculous.

In summary I have had problems with
Snare stand and rim x2
bass drum x1
tom x1
cymbals x4

there is also another issue with one of the tom rims not triggering properly but rarely use that so not to worried.

I do not know what to do anymore.

roel

Hello Besco,

As I understand you are using the MK1 Version of the Drumit 5, its a shame that you have so much problems with your kit.
I have the MK1 version too, but I have my rack upgrade to MK2 and a MK2 Snare (with 5 0-rings) and the seperate MK2 Snare stand.
Anyway I was having problems with my MK1 tom rim triggering, rims defect, MK1 weak snarestand but al of my problems are solved now and Iam very very happy with my kit.
I hope that you problems will solved with your kit.

Good luck,
Roel.

roel

Quote from: besco on November 04, 2011, 09:46:52 PM
Yeah it is mk1 I Have the mk2 snare stand and the mk2 bass drum everything else is mk1.

I know the MK2 Pads are more sturdier with those 5 o-rings instead of 3 and they use a better material for the rims, Also the MK2 rack is much better than the mk1 RACK.

Manfred

Good morning,

no doubt that the MKII is better and sturdier. But in my opinion the solution can't be that he has to spend even more money for an upgrade to get a kit which works good. The MKI cost about 2000 Euro and every customer expects to get a kit that works flawlessly for that price. If it doesn't the dealer/distributor or 2Box has to provide a solution in my opinion without any additional cost for the customer.

Please go ahead and contact the customer service for every single problem until all issues are sorted out. I have my third snare now, got some new o-rings and the next few days i will write an email again because one of my cymbals triggers unevenly depending on where i hit it. Unfortunately my dealer stopped selling 2Box because of too much quality issues. But the distributor provided good service up to now. Somehow it looks like some companies learn it only the hard (expensive) way.

Regards, Manfred

Manfred

Hi,

for the problems with my snare (multiple triggers) and the broken o-rings i wrote a mail to the german distributor. And for the cymbal i think i will do the same. The problem is that its not stable, sometimes it works good but sometimes it doesn't.

Since you live in UK i would contact Scottie from Hands in Hands Distribution. He is also a member in this forum.

Regards, Manfred

PS. I fixed the problem with the multiple triggers at the snare with a new head. Exchanging the pads didn't help at all. But since i bought a 2ply head for 22,- Euros the snare works fine.

Spazo

When you say o-rings do you refer to the rubber "rims"?

I don't hit especially hard but I just got my mkII and I'm skeptical about the rubber rims. Also I'm a double bass player and it feels like the whole bass drum assembly might get flimsy after some time.

Haggis-man

Hi guys,

I'm about to by a 2box kit in the next month but these kind of quality issues really worry me. Are these quality issues common? I'm thinking of going the Roland or Yamaha way instead.

Cheers

Manfred

Hi,

i have the old MKI version where the rims were just fixed with 3 o-rings. The new one have more and should be sturdier. Anyway, even with the MKI version i never had a loosen rim. I just realized that the o-rings start to crack and got some new for replacement from the distributor. This picture shows the problem:

If i had the the choice between a TD-9KX-2 and a 2Box i would choose 2Box again. An other option i would think about is to choose the 2Box module with other pads. Jobeky drums for example offers the 2Box module with their shells. Looks like an acoustic kit but i never played these shells. So i can't say anything about the trigger characteristics. And the price ist not much more than the regular set as far as i know.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the triggering of one of my cymbals. But i can rather live with that than with the synthetic sounds of a TD-9. These are much more annoying in my opinion. And sine the other cymbal works okay i think this can be sorted out.

Regards, Manfred

Manfred

Hi,

i agree that the differentiation between bell and bow will mostlikely not be perfect because it is done by measuring the output level of the piezo. But i think/hope the other issue thats it triggers differently depending on where you hit it could be solved. These are pictures which the user AA_ posted in the german drummerforum:

Maybe the problem is just that this rubber ring is not glued evenly around the circumference. Or since it was better before at my cymbal maybe the glue gets loosened. I don't know, these is just guesswork. I didn't open my cymbal up to now. But there must be a reason why it worked better before and sometimes doesn't anymore.

Regards, Manfred

GenuineHuman

One of my cymbals has issues with uneven triggering, too. I'm using it for crash now. Everything else seems alright.

Scottie

Hi besco

I have sent you a PM with regards to these issues.

Thanks
Scott

Evy

Hey Scottie,

I have been using the MKI for two years with virtually no issues.  The new OS makes this thing play beautifully.  However I do have one of the common issue regarding o-rings.  Not the rings themselves which are easily replaced but the rim that they strap onto is broken at the o-ring 'hooks' if you will.  How do I replace the ring under the rubber cover?

evan(evy)

fishmonkey

IMO the weakest point of the 2Box kit is the rim trigger design on the pads. those little o-rings are made to be kept under compression, not distorted and under tension in the way they are used in the 2Box design. both the rings and little plastic hooks they attach to are prone to failure. in my experience it is important to check the o-rings regularly, because when one breaks the remaining rings and hooks are stressed even more.

the cymbal construction is also another weak point, i have opened up both my cymbals in the past because of uneven triggering and the glueing of the centre rubber piece to the metal has been done very shoddily at the factory.

Manfred

Quote from: fishmonkey on November 09, 2011, 11:18:28 PM

the cymbal construction is also another weak point, i have opened up both my cymbals in the past because of uneven triggering and the glueing of the centre rubber piece to the metal has been done very shoddily at the factory.

So did you stick on the rubber ring again and was the problem solved? If yes, what kind of glue did you use?

Regards, Manfred

fishmonkey

Loctite 420 or Loctite 401 has been suggested. i never tried re-gluing because the original job was done so poorly and i don't feel like i should try and fix it myself. also, it seems necessary to remove the residue of the old glue off first. additionally on my worst cymbal, one of the rubber centre pieces was badly formed and the gap in it has been ruined with excess glue.