News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2 Hi Hat cymbals on 1 Hi Hat input

Started by Jman, October 20, 2011, 04:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

OK, this one is Slap the drummer's idea. He was thinking about using Manfred's HH control box and having Hi Hat cymbals on the left and right sides of the kit. I already have Hi Hats on both sides of my kit, but since I have 2 Drumit Five modules I have used the A module for my main standard (left side) Hi Hat and used the B module with my stationary Hi Hat on the right side of my kit using fixed Hi Hat dsnd's for my right side stationary HH. After discussing Slap's idea for HH's on both sides of the kit using one HH input I decided to try it. In the pics you will see the splitter I put in the Cymbal side of Manfred's box. From that .... one TRS cable goes to the main HH cymbal and one goes to the other HH cymbal on the right side of my kit. It works well. I can control the HH open/closed transitions from the one pedal for both cymbals. My main HH on the stand moves like always, the stationary hat does not move up/down physically, but the sounds do respond to the HH control pedal. What that means is I now have one more input open to add my Stacked cymbal to the setup.

One little tidbit. If anyone uses 2 Drumit Five modules like me and decides to add a crash to a Hi Hat input instead of using it for a standard Hi Hat ...... If you plug a regular Piezo/Switch cymbal into the Hi Hat input you will only get 1 zone .... but if you use a Manfred HH box along with .....  and plug a Piezo/Switch cymbal into the Box and box into the module you will get 2 zones .... Bow and Edge sounds, no choke but both zones. The dsnds must have bow and edge sounds already in them if you want both zones, but it does work.
Here is the splitter under my HH pedal:
https://files.secureserver.net/0sGpR7fK2YvZsa
Main HiHat left of tom 1, 2nd (10 inch) stationary HiHat right of tom 4
https://files.secureserver.net/0stRzJcWa8eAeT
And my extra effect cymbal in my module B HH input (above octobans)
https://files.secureserver.net/0s5LJEMNMfTAQc
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

nonoduweb

Very nice, Jerry!  ;)

If you connect the "Manfred box" to one of your hihat input, perhaps it could work under the bass drum pedal, so you could use opened or closed sounds on the kick (with a special Dsnd file)?

twisted.mellow

Manfred/JMan, do you think there is a way to use the hi hat input as a dual zone piezo/switch cymbal without using one of your circuits? Is the hall sensor really necessary, or could there be a resistor added to a cable or something that would solve the issue?

Manfred

Quote from: Jman on October 20, 2011, 04:22:28 AM

One little tidbit. If anyone uses 2 Drumit Five modules like me and decides to add a crash to a Hi Hat input instead of using it for a standard Hi Hat ...... If you plug a regular Piezo/Switch cymbal into the Hi Hat input you will only get 1 zone .... but if you use a Manfred HH box along with .....  and plug a Piezo/Switch cymbal into the Box and box into the module you will get 2 zones .... Bow and Edge sounds, no choke but both zones. The dsnds must have bow and edge sounds already in them if you want both zones, but it does work.

Hello,

it is (very) likely that you can replace "my" board by 2 resistors in that case. These values should be worth a try:

The value of the 820R resistor shouldn't be that critical. You can also try 1k instead.

Regards, Manfred

twisted.mellow

Looks like I can make this inline after all, and shouldn't be too hard! Am off to get some resistors.

Jman

Quote from: twisted.mellow on October 21, 2011, 01:14:59 AM
Looks like I can make this inline after all, and shouldn't be too hard! Am off to get some resistors.
Ian, Let me know what works for ya ..... then I will replace my xtra box with an adapter cable with resistors too...

Jman

Quote from: nonoduweb on October 20, 2011, 05:36:21 PM
Very nice, Jerry!  ;)

If you connect the "Manfred box" to one of your hihat input, perhaps it could work under the bass drum pedal, so you could use opened or closed sounds on the kick (with a special Dsnd file)?
Thanks nonoduweb! Interesting idea to experiment with ... For now I'll probably just use the extra HH input to add in a stacked cymbal sound .... I have several stacked cymbal dsnds I made from SD2.0, but I normally keep regular crash, splash and china sounds set up default on my kits .... but now I will dedicate one cymbal for just stacked or Effects ...

Re-arranging the instruments seems like a continual job .... I just realized a couple days ago, that I haven't reassigned all my instrument sounds on my new module for the Stock 2Box kits .... I have most of the stock 2Box kits still on my SD cards ... but I normally just play the 20 plus kits I built from new samples and I revamped those early on ... but now I will go back and redo the Stock kits to correspond with my drums/cymbals for my 2nd module .... Not that it is a big hassle, cause I actually like tinkering like that ....   :)

Slap the drummer

On a similar theme -

Presumably with the right cables it wd be easy to get 2 fully functioning crash cymbals
plugged into one Cymbal Input - as long as you don't mind that both play the same
.dsnd files.  I'm thinking of doing this so I can have the same type of crash both left and
right of the kit without using up extra inputs.

(Just wire L and R channel of each cymbal back to L and R on the input jack).

BUT - does anybody know, is it possible to split out a Cymbal input into 2 mono zones?
I mean in the same way that a Tom input can be split out rather than using the rim of the
tom pad ? ?

Since I'm not using bell or edge on my rides I'd like to get more value from the Cymbal inputs
if that's possible.

twisted.mellow

The cymbals are piezo/switch, which don't lend themselves to being split - at least, not elegantly. The switch means that you will only get a single velocity and even then that's an issue.

Piezo/switch combos work by "toggling" the sound based on the switch being depressed (always found that funny), and the velocity from the piezo. If the piezo gets a hit without the switch being down, it plays the bow. If the piezo gets a hit and the switch is down, it plays the rim. Same idea for three zone cymbals (at least, with Roland they do. As far as I can tell, 2Box modules do some weird stuff to make their cymbals three "zone". It appears they just trigger the bell after a certain velocity, but I can't really be sure about that since I'm only using Rolands and have never tried a 2Box cymbal).