News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland SPD-SX

Started by puttenvr, September 16, 2011, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

Roland just released a new SPDS

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=spd-sx

Although it looks nice, this is just another ON/OFF device for launching samples
Nowhere any serious drumming or percussion playing can be seen
And the 2gb is a laugh. As well as the price (1200 $) is

I wish 2Box would produce a good percussion controller with all those nice drum sounds and Pete Lockett percussions sounds inside. Should be easy to improve that Roland piece of junk

twisted.mellow

Use an Alesis Control Pad to MIDI control a 2Box module ;)

nonoduweb

Quote from: puttenvr on September 16, 2011, 09:42:43 AM

...And the 2gb is a laugh. As well as the price (1200 $) is

Yes, very expensive. I can't imagine the price for the Roland Philips screwdriver needed to upgrade the memory of the SPD-SX!  ;D

edtc

.... Well , if you read the specs , it is not just an ON/OFF PadMachine , as it has 3 built in effects ,including  one with possibility of realtime control by Knobs ...

Also the Multi-Pad Sampling (possibility to sample "on the fly", with a mic or a stereo line input ), is something new on the market , and will certainly have many applications in electronic or experimental music...

About the 2go of memory , it s a giant leap for Roland ... but not for us ;

By the way , Roland products are allways expensive , but on the other hand , they are well built and last long .... My OCTAPAD one is 30 years old and still works .

A simple multipad without brain could be a nice addon to the DrumitFive ... I dont know any commercial product for this purpose , but i ve found this video from a guy who made a nice DIY project:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJrO9VYEoGQ

puttenvr

With ON/OFF machine I meant that no dynamic playing is possible due to the lack of dynamics (typical Roland problem) and limited sample layering.
START/STOP can also be a name for the thing

edtc

yes i understood that Rob , but IMO it s more designed for looping and sampling than for emulating percussion instruments ,like a HPD10 ...

This product will surely satisfy DJs , electro artists , electrorock/pop drummers , dub addicts ....

puttenvr

Agree, but for us (drummers) there isn't a decent percussion controller with enough sample mempry and dynamics. So, 2Box ....