News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What are the best things about the 2box?

Started by signature, April 10, 2010, 08:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmanmafimardi

Hey Manfred,
the guy in the video does not use a regular snarestand.......

Neither do I, and have no problems.

Baby Samus

Firstly, I don't think my kit is a 'golden' kit that is somehow lucky to work.  Its just set up properly.  There are plenty users on here who also have none of these issues that you describe, in fact I would say these complaints are in the minority - maybe we should set up a vote to see who has problems and who does not, to see how common they are?  This would help us and 2Box I think.  I'll see how to do that after posting...

I never said the kit is perfect, it could obviously improve as you mention, but I think the price reflects what you get.  Compare to a TD-9 which is around the same price - you don't get a hi-pedal or a base drum pedal at all.  So as far as the price goes, I think you get a good deal considering the kit is competing at the lower end of the e-kit market.  Both the TD-12 and TD-20 from Roland cost a lot more, so we can say that 2Box is trying to undercut them and is competing at the TD-9 sort of price range.  Also Roland modules and pads are made of plastic, so I think you get better quality from the aluminium used in the 2Box module and pads.

Therefore to suggest that its expensive  ('But all these modifications shouldn't be necessary if you spend about 2000 Euro for a brand new drumset.') in its price range is simply not true.  2000 euro's is not a lot of money to get a full e-kit like the 2Box.  I can't think of any other kit on the market for 2000 euros (aside from the TD-9 which I think we all agree sounds much worse) which gives you anything close to what 2Box are giving - can you?

I have only made two very simple and cheap modifications to my kit, which cost me nothing, yet make it play brilliantly.  a snare stand, and a hi-hat clutch.  Thats it.  You can pick those two things up on e-bay for next to nothing.

I have been drumming for many years, and so I have this sort of equipment lying around - but if I use the 2Box live then I would NEVER use the hi-hat clutch or snare stand that came with the kit - its simply not meant for professional use.  For home use yes it is, but if you want to better experience what the module and pads can do when properly stable, you have to spend a little money.  2Box start you off with the home hardware and yes its not brilliant, if you want it to be sturdy enough for high stress and high usage, so its more reliable and plays better, you need to upgrade my man.

Even with the extra cost of a snare stand (£20 on e-bay) and maybe a hi-hat clutch, it will still be great value.

As for the software update, if deve loper says it plays better, I believe him.  The hi-hat update greatly improved playability - why shouldn't this one?  I agree of course we must wait to see the proof, but they fixed the hi-hat so why not this?

Then your only problem is double triggering and crosstalk, which the snare stand should eliminate on the snare pad.  Is there a video of you playing the whole kit to show the cymbal crosstalk and toms happening?  Maybe we could look at the rack and see if there is an issue when compared to how my setup looks when you are playing it?

Baby Samus

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 13, 2010, 09:59:00 PM
maybe we should set up a vote to see who has problems and who does not, to see how common they are?  This would help us and 2Box I think.  I'll see how to do that after posting...

Its set up in a new thread - vote away people (owners only)

Perico

Hi,
I have experimented some crosstalk at the beginning when I played toms and most particularly when I hit the rims : it trigger above all my ride cymbal.
Now it's ok with the threshold set to -36 for my toms. I still have the kick light to come on when I hit the rim of my floor tom even if I set the threshold to -18 which is the minimum : but it's not a big deal cause I even do not ear the kick sound.
Maybe it will be interesting if some users could post their settings for each pads of their drum kit.
Thanks.

nonoduweb

Hi

I'm the guy in the video.  8)

I always have double trig, but less. I solved the problem with a roland mesh head.
I use a normal stand of snare drum and I did not notice that there was less double trig with this one than with the original.
Otherwise I have problems of crosstalk too, between toms and cymbals or rims and toms, but with some good settings of thresold, everything is good.
I suppose that with a well insulated rack this would'nt happen.

Manfred

Hi Baby Samus,

as i wrote in my previous post i already use a regular snare stand. This doesn't have any influence to the multiple triggers. The number of problems is still the same as i posted yesterday. Crosstalk and multiple triggers are annoying but can be fixed with the above mentioned modifications.

The cymbal triggers and particularly the missing editor are the bigger problems in my opinion. I hope they will be solved soon.

The main reason why i bought the 2Box kit is that it has good sounds without the need of a computer. I don't want an extra computer next to the kit. Otherwise a drum-tec diabolo in combination with superior drummer or BFD would be my choice. You can get really good sounds with many other kits (even roland  :D) with this software solutions. And i still think that a brand new set should work without any modifications no matter how much it costs.

tjemeu

I think the best about the 2box is the size of the pads and the price. You can't buy a Roland kit with these pad sizes for the same price and have a real moving hihat as well. And it sounds great. Now that the hihat works almost perfectly and I've managed to fix the double triggering on the kick, only the cymbals are of some concern. But they are working on a update for that.

Baby Samus

Quote from: Manfred on April 14, 2010, 06:42:38 PM
Hi Baby Samus,

as i wrote in my previous post i already use a regular snare stand. This doesn't have any influence to the multiple triggers. The number of problems is still the same as i posted yesterday. Crosstalk and multiple triggers are annoying but can be fixed with the above mentioned modifications.

The cymbal triggers and particularly the missing editor are the bigger problems in my opinion. I hope they will be solved soon.

The main reason why i bought the 2Box kit is that it has good sounds without the need of a computer. I don't want an extra computer next to the kit. Otherwise a drum-tec diabolo in combination with superior drummer or BFD would be my choice. You can get really good sounds with many other kits (even roland  :D) with this software solutions. And i still think that a brand new set should work without any modifications no matter how much it costs.

I'm just saying if we're using the same hardware and software (which it seems we are) and we are also both using a proper snare stand, why does my kit work perfectly and yours doesn't work at all?  Just seems odd thats all.  Perhaps your module is faulty maybe?  Or try loading the software again?

Plus the kit doesn't really need any modifications.  My 2Box already worked perfectly when it was first set up, I just prefer using heavier duty hardware as it stands up to more punishment.  I didn't have to do it.  Its just better that way and improves the experience.  Some people like using better hardware than the stuff that comes with kits - thats why people like Tama, Yamaha, Drum Workshop etc sell there own brands of hardware seperately - if you want better gear you need to pay for it - it never comes free in the box.

fishmonkey

i don't have any problem with multiple triggers, using the standard 2box snare mount. there are ghost multiple triggers if i have the threshold at its minimum value, but that is to be expected. the threshold control wouldn't be very useful if it wasn't sensitive enough to cause multiple triggers at its most extreme setting.

Dagger

.. I beg to differ on the matter of the kick double trigger. If you ask someone else to hold bass drum for you when you play there is a big difference (especially if you play with a double pedal. I have done a quick fix which makes things a little better (see attached picture).

As for the double trigger on the snare there is a simple solution. Just cut out a piece of soft foam and put it under the drum (see pictures). I have no double triggering and my settings are: Gain 0, Thres -48

I also have a little crosstalk on the ride when playing on the toms, but this can be reduced if the cymbal is mounted low (i.e. close to the rack/toms)

** Sorry wrong tread. I should have posted this as an answer in the "2box owners poll" **

nonoduweb

Hi

you can use the original snare stand (with its clamp) to maintain the bass drum.

(in another way, it can be used to hold musical scores)