News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 1.0

Started by Louis, February 04, 2010, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

It is time again, a new release of DSoundTool, http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/

It has now support for creating hihat sounds, that's why the version number is now 1.0.

Other news:
•Now you can view the settings of all drum kits in drumit.dkit and save them to a text file.
•It is now possible to improve playing consistency of sounds that trigger unevenly.
•A bug was fixed; when changing volumes of hihat sounds in already existing .dsnd files, the resulting file did not contain half-open hihat sounds.

and some minor things, like improved sample detection.

Another thing is that I decided give Java Web Start a try. I hope that that makes installation easier, because in theory, as long as you have Java Web Start enabled in your computer, download of the correct Java version is done automatically. And future new versions will automatically be downloaded, hopefully making it easier for you.

I have read good and bad things about Java Web Start, so I am bit hesitant how it will work out. Please let me know if you encounter any problems! Then there is the MAC again. MAC OS should have Java Web Start support, but I do not know how it looks; could any MAC user let me know if it works or not?

/Louis

alainV

Hi Louis,

Thank's for the new version, its seems that all is ok.

On MacOS, it was not possible to update DSoundTool with Java Web Start. I use Firefox and Javascript is enabled, but it didn't work.

With the .zip file all was ok.

UC

Hey Louis, congrats on v1.0!

I just made a sabian hi-hat from my BFD2 library to test it with. BFD2 has Edge (Tip) + Bow (Shank) hits for open, quarter, half, three quarter, and closed (plus pedal)....and each hit has like 50 variant samples to avoid machine-gunning, and each variant is multisampled for mic positions ...And there are 7 hats to choose from....Mama mia that's a spicy meatballs.

For mine I only used Edge and Bow for open + half + closed + pedal for the test. I only chose the first variant of each hit and exported a flattened wav for one of each hit ... given more time and patience I'd like to do it with more control over the mic positions in each hit - even with my simple test sound it was still a lot of clicking, but it sounds really good.

Going forwards, it would definitely be easier to just set up the hits in my sequencer and export them from there, so I can use BFD's mic mixer, rather than trying to tweak the multisamples in Audacity. That way I could probably bang through all 7 hats fairly quickly.

Anyway, thanks again for DSound Tool, it's brilliant. Can't wait to explore it more.

alainV

Quote from: UC on February 05, 2010, 02:59:50 AM
....and each hit has like 50 variant samples to avoid machine-gunning

Sorry, what is "machine-gunning?

Louis

Quote from: alainV on February 13, 2010, 11:01:16 AM
Sorry, what is "machine-gunning?

If you repeatedly play exactly the same drum sound, it will sound like a machine gun. Cheap e-drums may sound like that. To avoid this effect, when sampling acoustic drums, usually many diffeerent samples are taken. In  tools like Superior Drummer and probably most other VST tools you can randomize, so even if you hit many times the same drum with exactly the same force, you will still get slightly different sounds, just as you would on a real acoustic drum, giving a more realistic effect. The 2box also does this (otherwise you would have known what it was :))

nonoduweb

Hi

It would be good in a next OS to adjust this random value to put more or less of machine-gun effect according to the dsnd file played.

ncwilliamsuk

Hello

This software is amazing.  Congrats!

One thing though.  Does anyone else have a problem when creating toms (it may not be just toms, its just that what it was for me).  I try to generate a dsnd file, but i get the error: "there is not enough memory to perform the operation"?  I know it seems like an obvious error, but it doesnt appear to happen for other drums.  I am also trying it with only samples in the head (and not rim), but alas, no joy :(

Thanks
Neil

claes1965

Hi !

Started using this program. Excellent.Thanx. Impressing.

Now:   

When making a dsnd-file for crashes. In what zone do I put the "choke" samples. Using Steven slate wav-files for the whole premium kits 3.5

If my slate hihats are using more than 5 layers - do I have to leave out some layers and what 5 basic layers do you recommend me to use ?

Claes - Sweden

(Soon I will post dsdn-files of my whole Steven Slate Premium 3.5 for you all to share)

Quote from: Louis on February 04, 2010, 09:09:02 PM
It is time again, a new release of DSoundTool, http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/

It has now support for creating hihat sounds, that's why the version number is now 1.0.

Other news:
•Now you can view the settings of all drum kits in drumit.dkit and save them to a text file.
•It is now possible to improve playing consistency of sounds that trigger unevenly.
•A bug was fixed; when changing volumes of hihat sounds in already existing .dsnd files, the resulting file did not contain half-open hihat sounds.

and some minor things, like improved sample detection.

Another thing is that I decided give Java Web Start a try. I hope that that makes installation easier, because in theory, as long as you have Java Web Start enabled in your computer, download of the correct Java version is done automatically. And future new versions will automatically be downloaded, hopefully making it easier for you.

I have read good and bad things about Java Web Start, so I am bit hesitant how it will work out. Please let me know if you encounter any problems! Then there is the MAC again. MAC OS should have Java Web Start support, but I do not know how it looks; could any MAC user let me know if it works or not?

/Louis

fuzziebea

Hi claes1965,

with the newest version of dsound tool (1.01) you can use 7 layers. This is the maximum
for dsnd-sounds.

Best regards
fuzziebea

puttenvr

For dsnd-sounds in general, or the sounds made with this DSoundTool?

fuzziebea

Hi puttenvr,

a dsnd sound can at most contain 16 types of sound. For the hihat that means:
7 layers with bow and edge (=14 types), the footsplash and then one left.

fuzziebea

Deve Loper

The .dsnd format can contain 16 types assigned to any zone, and each type can have upto 128 layers.
For the hihat there is a special assignment for the open to closed types.
The first type on zone X is the open sound, then on consecutive (!) types on the same zone X (!) the "in between open and closed" sounds should be mapped, with the completely closed sound on the last type with zone X. The DrumIt OS automatically reads the amount of open to closed types when the sound is loaded.

I just mention this to avoid confusion on the capabilities of the system. The 2box editor doesn't support different zones yet, but I can't make any statements abour any non-official editor.

Deve.

fuzziebea

Hi Deve Loper,

I had only this info, sorry, if this is wrong.
Does it mean, that we´ll be able to load hihat sounds into the drumit 5 with more than 7 foot steps, when your editor is available with full function?

Best regards,
fuzziebea

claes1965

Hi !

This is what I would like to do:  In Steven Slate Premium 3.5 there is five different sample types for each let´s say a snare drum. They are called Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 and Z5.

Z1 is dry and Z4 is very ambient recorded hits in a warehouse and in stereo. I want to nmake dsdn-files of each layer on every drm/hihat/cymbal and kick in my Steven slate library for my 2box set. The possible whay to mix a Z1 with a Z4 sample is to mix them in my DAW...sample for sample..and that will take a lot of time really. I have 16 layers on each Z1, Z2 and so on....

Is there any quicker way to mix them together in the Dsound ?

The same layer hit , 16 differnet, are present in Z1 to Z5 so there as a fitting one for each laher hit...called crack1 to very soft 4..pobably recorded at the same exact time in the studio with different ambient microphones.

Claes

Quote from: fuzziebea on May 20, 2010, 10:13:50 AM
Hi Deve Loper,

I had only this info, sorry, if this is wrong.
Does it mean, that we´ll be able to load hihat sounds into the drumit 5 with more than 7 foot steps, when your editor is available with full function?

Best regards,
fuzziebea

claes1965

Hi !

I belive I only can download the 1.00 of the Dsoundtools program ?

Where can I find version 1.01 ???

Claes

Quote from: fuzziebea on May 19, 2010, 03:12:54 PM
Hi claes1965,

with the newest version of dsound tool (1.01) you can use 7 layers. This is the maximum
for dsnd-sounds.

Best regards
fuzziebea