News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Intermittent problem after doing sd extension mod

Started by eyerichards, November 29, 2011, 10:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyerichards

Hey guys, I'm experiencing an intermittent problem that one of you hopefully can shed some light on.
After having installed one of jmans extenders and getting a sandisk extreme 32 gb card, I happily made up some sd2 dsnd's with dsound tool and got set to have some fun on the gigs. But every now and then the unit will do one of two things. Either a 2 second period of latency ( which is most off putting for everyone in the band ) or when doing fast fills around the toms after playing a ride pattern there is what can only be described as a type of digital distortion as if the module has experienced a melt down and can't cope.
The card came from the same place in Hong Kong that jman got his from.
The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time and doesn't appear to happen when using the stock 2 box sounds.
I have three gigs this week and I'm nervous about it happening again. I don't want to have to go back to just the 4 gb card in the module as I love the new sd 2 samples.
HELP :-\

duckers

Hi eyerichards,

Yes, I am having the same problem.Doing fast fills with one of my custom made kits approx 1,6Gb in total size, I get distorted crackling sound.No problem with the standard 2Box kits. I have a 32G Transcend SD card.
However I do not experience this problem in OS v1.20, only in OS v1.22 and v1.24.
Please check if it is the same thing for you.

Duckers

edtc

... hi ,

Maybe this happens because of the increased phones level....

i imagine that during fills , the sustain of the "many" hits  are superposing , so level can go over 0DB, causing digital distortion ...

or do you have also this when using the others outputs...?

duckers

Yes, I am afraid so. I just tried running through output 1+2 and headphones disconnected. I still get that crackling noise when running fast fills. Maybe OS v1.24 is a little more demanding on resources and we just have to live with the fact that there is a maximum limit to the size of each individual kit.
And for the record, I am not complaining. Deve has made an incredible job with the latest OS's

Duckers

eyerichards

For me the problem happens with OS v1.2 and 1.24 which I updated to see if that would fix the problem. I might try fitting the 32gb card directly into the module to see if it's a problem with the card extender and report back later. :)

Deve Loper

Hi.
Playing (many) sounds directly from an SD card is not trivial. Either the extender can add delays / reflections on the sd signals and the card itself might not have the access time required.
So please check if the problem still exists with your own sounds on the original sd card directly in the sd slot. That' s the only configuration we support.
Deve.

eyerichards

Thanks Deve, I suspected that might be the case so I'll try your suggestion.  :)

Jman

Quote from: eyerichards on November 29, 2011, 10:21:05 AM
The card came from the same place in Hong Kong that jman got his from.
I didn't get my good Sandisk Extreme cards from Hong Kong, at least the seller wasn't from Hong Kong:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDISK-32GB-EXTREME-SDHC-CLASS-10-BRAND-NEW-/250893874237?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2823327506628124822

I have never experienced those symptoms.... I did have something somewhat similar happen ... not the 2 sec. latency ... that never happened, but a bit of snap or crackle happened with the 32GB Class 10 Transcend cards and that is why I decided to try the faster Sandisk Extreme class 10 which have worked flawlessly for me since ... I have 4 of them and never a problem like that with my sounds, extender and those.
You didn't Format the card right? ..... does the back of your Sandisk card look like this:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+back+of+Sandisk+Extreme+SDHC&view=detail&id=81F98317BF08961615E139D97E8728F4A71CB7CF&first=0
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

eyerichards

Sorry Jerry, I must have gotten confused with burnin ambitions post from September and your reply to it

quote author=Jman link=topic=914.msg9865#msg9865 date=1316188660]
I've bought 2 of the Sandisk Extreme 32GB cards from this same seller. Cheapest price I could find and both cards are genuine, working perfect. Says he ships to most parts of the world:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDISK-32GB-EXTREME-SDHC-CLASS-10-BRAND-NEW-/250893874237?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2823327506628124822
[/quote]

Anyway, the back of my card looks like the link you posted and the front has the label reading San disk extreme ( silver on red) HD Video (red on silver) then 30 MBs,32 gb etc.  Is it possible that because it's a HD video card that it's not functioning as it should ? I didn't format the card before the problem started as per suggestions but I have checked the card and it is set for 32 K cluster.

I have disconnected my extender cable and tried both the sandisk and original 4 gb card directly and the problem still occurred on the sandisk but not the 4gb. So at least we can eliminate the card extender from being the problem.  I used my sd samples on both cards but didn't have enough room to put the SD  hi hat and ride samples on, the 4 gb card so I'll make some room tomorrow and try that to see if the combination of Sd toms and cymbals makes it fault like the sandisk does.

Jman

Quote from: eyerichards on November 30, 2011, 08:05:02 AM
Sorry Jerry, I must have gotten confused with burnin ambitions post from September and your reply to it

quote author=Jman link=topic=914.msg9865#msg9865 date=1316188660]
I've bought 2 of the Sandisk Extreme 32GB cards from this same seller. Cheapest price I could find and both cards are genuine, working perfect. Says he ships to most parts of the world:

Anyway, the back of my card looks like the link you posted and the front has the label reading San disk extreme ( silver on red) HD Video (red on silver) then 30 MBs,32 gb etc.  Is it possible that because it's a HD video card that it's not functioning as it should ? I didn't format the card before the problem started as per suggestions but I have checked the card and it is set for 32 K cluster.

I have disconnected my extender cable and tried both the sandisk and original 4 gb card directly and the problem still occurred on the sandisk but not the 4gb. So at least we can eliminate the card extender from being the problem.  I used my sd samples on both cards but didn't have enough room to put the SD  hi hat and ride samples on, the 4 gb card so I'll make some room tomorrow and try that to see if the combination of Sd toms and cymbals makes it fault like the sandisk does.
You are doing great on trouble shooting this. I've never tried the cards that say HD video, but from what I have read on the net it seems to be the same card with new labeling ... There are a lot of fake Sandisk cards out there, this video has some good info on spotting fakes ....
It's in Spanish
http://www.youtube.com/memoryval#p/u/19/Xmj6YowwE7g
I look forward to your results on further troubleshooting. If you find problems after adding the ride and HH samples in the mix you might try substituting a 2Box ride then testing that .... 2Box HH then testing ... on both cards...

GenuineHuman

HD video cards are usually class 4 or 6 (yours seems to be 10), because that's plenty for HD video and also latency and access time are usually not a high priority with these cards, because it's not really relevant to HD video and camcorders. Maybe you can find a software that measures real read speed, latency and access time and compare the cards in this regard.

Slap the drummer

Just for info:

I had one of the modules with a faulty SD and the replacement I received (from the UK
distributor) was a "HD Video" card.

The card reads - Sandisk Extreme / HD Video / 20MBs / Class 6.

So I guess that suggests you should be OK using one of these video cards.

:patbat2box:

duckers

Great!
No more problem with crackling distorted sound when playing fast fills with my custom kit (1,6Gb).
I transfered the kit from the Transcend 32Gb SD card (where I had the problems) to a Sandisk Extreme 8Gb 20Mb/s. Now there is no more distorted sound. So the problem was the Transcend card.
Sorry about the fuzz.
I should have listened to Jman's warning about the cheaper labels previously:-)
Well no big issue. I will just have to go and get a myself an extra Sandisk 32Gb.

Cheers!

Jman

Quote from: duckers on November 30, 2011, 09:36:59 PM
Great!
No more problem with crackling distorted sound when playing fast fills with my custom kit (1,6Gb).
I transfered the kit from the Transcend 32Gb SD card (where I had the problems) to a Sandisk Extreme 8Gb 20Mb/s. Now there is no more distorted sound. So the problem was the Transcend card.
Sorry about the fuzz.
I should have listened to Jman's warning about the cheaper labels previously:-)
Well no big issue. I will just have to go and get a myself an extra Sandisk 32Gb.

Cheers!
When you look for a new card I would lean toward one in original retail packaging .... I had decent luck on a few of mine that were loose, single cards in plastic case .... But since I did run into fake cards .... getting one in the original package is probably the safest way especially on eBay. I haven't been burned on the ones I got in the original package and there are quite a few at good prices now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-Extreme-32GB-Class-10-SDHC-Memory-Card-200X-Read-Write-HD-New-/280781425753?pt=Digital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item415fe08c59

And everything I have read seems like the only thing that has changed with the newer Extreme cards is the labeling .... says HD Video now ... but the card is the same as the other ones like I have .... still 32GB Extreme Class 10 @ 30 MBS ....

eyerichards

Okay, so I have tried the SD ride and hats with the SD toms on the 4gb card and everything works perfectly . So my thoughts are leaning pretty heavily towards the Sandisk being faulty in some way.I may just be the one in a million to get a dud. I dont rate my chances of getting a replacement from the seller in Hong Kong but I'll give it a go.I do believe it was a genuine card and that I was just unlucky. We shall see :(